Friday, August 21, 2009

Auto vs. health insurance

One of the many problems conservatives have with the health care bill being debated is the government mandate that everyone have insurance.

Conservatives argue, rightly so, that is beyond government's intended reach.

So liberals came up with a "gotcha" question on this point. I've heard it a number of times, including last night at Joe Barton's town hall meeting.

I'm frankly surprised the answer apparently hasn't occurred to anyone who I've heard argue the point.

The question: "Since conservatives are so in favor of government-mandates for auto insurance, why do they have a problem with mandated health coverage?"

It's apples and oranges, people.

I understand 48 states have mandated auto insurance of some type. I'm not sure who requires what. But here in Texas, you must carry liability insurance, which covers damage to other people's property if you're at fault in an accident.

And no, I don't have a problem with that. You drive your car into the back of mine, you better have a way to pay for the damage.

Insuring your own personal health is a different matter entirely.

1 comment:

  1. Great thought process, and yes it is different. Now you gave me the information I need when I come across this arguement!

    ReplyDelete