Tuesday, July 7, 2009

What we believe in

Talking to a "friend" recently, the subject of politics and what we all believe in was raised. I label myself a conservative, but does that actually tell anyone what I believe in? I mean, President Bush also is considered conservative but I've come to understand during his time in office that we agree on some things but hold very different beliefs in certain areas. A couple of examples:

Lower taxes. There's something he and I agree upon. It's a conservative principle that lower taxes grows the economy. During the Reagan administration, the concept was referred to as "trickle down" ... and I believe in it, because it's proven. We prospered as a nation in the 1980s after a disastrous four years under the peanut farmer. And we're prospering now despite a recession in the late 90s and then what could have been a crippling event in 2001 and a resulting war.

Less government. Here's a biggee where he and I couldn't believe more differently, apparently. (It's also the fundamental difference, in my eyes, between true conservatism and true liberalism.)

The federal government, I believe, should be limited to foreign policy, providing a strong national defense of this country and maintaining the framework provided by our forefathers. Period.

I believe strongly in the individual ... the entrepreneurs, who were allowed the opportunity, and who have played a major role in making this country great. America didn't become what it is because of government . Except in the sense that government, at least some of the time, recognized its role and got the hell out of the way.

In my lifetime, I cannot think of one instance when government, especially the federal government, has demonstrated the ability to do anything in a fair, efficient or effective manner. And this isn't a conservative or liberal issue. There's simply too much bureaucracy in government, too many people with too many agendas and, amazingly, too little oversight.

Ronald Reagan once said, "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Well, the bigger the "government program," the messier the diaper.

Always been that way. Always will be.

(Imported from June 4, 2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment